Tuesday 10 February 2015

Purple Hair Update

















A couple of months ago I did a blog post about colouring my hair purple. Whilst I was happy with the results, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it was the best way to see how my hair would handle all the bleach and if it would hold the colour. Luckily, my hair did hold the colour better than expected, and was still in quite good condition despite the bleach. So off I went to the hairdresser again to try and achieve the pastel purple that everyone is into at the moment. 


In the photo above my hair looks quite a bit darker than it actually is. You will not believe how hard it was to get a photo that would best show the type of purple it is. In my opinion it is a true purple - not too blue and not too pink. This is about 3 weeks after being to the hairdresser. If anyone is looking at doing the same thing, let me talk you through the different colours available. I know I had a hard time choosing and it was a lot of trial an error!

These are the four colours that I currently have. The first time I coloured my hair purple, we used Manic Panic's Purple Haze and Jodie applied it straight from the tub - which is why it was so dark on my hair. This time, we decided to go for the pastel and Electric Amethyst seemed like the perfect colour whilst still a bit too dark. To remedy that, Jodie mixed in some of Manic Panic's Pastel-izer. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the same colour on my hair as in the tub. My hair ended up being a bluey purple, with more blue than purple.. I still liked it, but this wasn't what I had in mind.

Manic Panic - Electric Amethyst
As you can see in the picture above, it looks purple, but that little hint of blue that you can see is a lot more prominent once in your hair.. As my hair was quite porous, the colour faded quite quickly - within a week without even washing, and started looking gray and a bit green in places - not the best look I'll admit. As I had a full tub of the Electric Amethyst, I decided to colour my hair myself. It turned out quite well, although still more blue than purple, but that was better than gray! I then went online to see where I could get the Manic Panic colours and saw that Hairhouse Warehouse sells them. I immediately ordered all the purples that they had as I had learnt my lesson - the tub does not show you the real colour!

Manic Panic - Violet Night
 In the above photo, I have the leftover Electric Amethyst on my hair and mixed in a little bit of the Amethyst with the Violet Night in a bowl. The picture above shows the Violet Night to be quite pink, but once it is on your hair, it's not. I mixed about a quarter of the tub with some white condition, Tresemme in this case, and applied to my hair. I have to say that the lasting power of this one is a lot better than the Electric Amethyst.
Here are some blurry photos that show the actual colour of my hair quite well.

Manic Panic - Purple Haze 
Manic Panic - Ultra Violet

 I still have two more colours to try and will keep you posted on what they look like on hair. It seems to me though, that the Ultra Violet might be a bit blue. Anyone doing this at home, if you want pastel hair colour, please remember to mix in with white conditioner to dilute the colour. I normally leave the colour on my hair for 3-4 hours and that not only allows the colour to take better, it is also a deep treatment for my hair. It is always so so soft after colouring!


No comments:

Post a Comment