Friday 15 January 2016

Welcome 2016!!

Photo Credit - theberry

Can anyone believe that 2015 is already over? I know I say the same thing every year, but I swear the years are going by faster and faster.. It must be a by-product of getting older - time never seemed to go this fast when I was at school!

2015 was a rollercoaster of a year for me. It started off well, then some bad things happened. Luckily for me, it ended up on a high note! Everything that happened in 2015 made me realise that there were quite a few things I wanted to change. I spent the second half of 2015 doing just that, and I have to say that so far, everything is working out well.

Now what will 2016 bring? Having gone through these changes, it made me realise that I wanted to change even more. This is the bit that might interest you guys a bit more. I know that for the last couple years everyone has been talking about minimalism. Although I tried to jump on the bandwagon a few times, it never took as I am a hoarder at heart! However, now that I am 6 months pregnant and all these nesting feelings are starting, I am feeling inclined to try minimalism again. It probably won't be minimalism as everyone talks about. I'm not quite ready to ditch everything and pretty much live out of a suitcase!

What does minimalism entail for me? I have recently started going through each room of the house, tossing or donating anything that doesn't bring me joy. This might sound familiar to some of you who have read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of decluttering and organising by Marie Kondo. I know that this book has had good and bad reviews, but I think that if you take it with a grain of salt and only pay attention to what applies to you, then you can most definitely benefit from it. It has helped me get rid of many many things and my husband is over the moon at all the additional space we now have in our house.

I will also be trying this minimalism with my closet. It is a bit hard at the moment to do much about it due to my ever changing size, but I have managed to only purchase a couple of items so far. Knowing that I will only need new clothes for a few months is making it a lot easier for me to not buy too much. My plan is, once the baby arrives, to go through all my clothes, see what I like and still fits, then buy whatever I feel is necessary to finish my wardrobe. I will be following loosely what Caroline of Unfancy talks about in her blog, but I'm not sure I will limit myself to the 37 pieces as she does. It might be more, it might be less, but it definitely not be what my wardrobe used to be! For anyone who is thinking of trying out the minimalistic wardrobe, I urge you to go and check out Caroline's blog. It is full of inspiration and will make you want to purge your closet then and there!

As for minimalism in beauty and skincare, my aim this year is to work hard at finding what products really work for me and stick to them once I find them. I have always been fickle with my skincare, always wanting to try the new things out there even if what I had was working really well for me.  I'm sure my skin will appreciate this and thank me for it! I have found my everyday makeup look and have been wearing it for the last few months at work and this has really worked out well for me. I think I might try to look for a few signature looks for nighttime/going out and then stick to them. This doesn't mean that I'll have to use the same products over and over again, but it should help me figure out what colours and looks work for me, simplifying my life.

I guess what we can take from everything here is that I'm trying to simplify my life, to ensure that I can enjoy every moment of it and spend as much time as possible with those I love. Plus, I have a feeling I'll need all the time I can once the baby arrives!!

If you'd like more posts about minimalism and tricks to simplify your life, or if you'd just like to know how I'm going doing all this, please let me know. In the meantime, another blog for you to check out that I love is The Simply Luxurious Life. Shannon has wonderful ideas and if you go and visit her blog, please let her know I sent you.

And now, I wish you all a wonderful 2016!!!


1 comment:

  1. I just got Marie Kondo's book in the mail ! I can't wait to read it :) Love your approach to a minimalised 2016 xx

    ReplyDelete